Friday, May 6, 2011

DIY Recycled Denim House Shoes!

This is my first attempt at Recycled Denim House Shoes! =] I know they look pieced together... but they are! Below I will list the supplies, and do my best to show you how I made these. Bare with me I do not have a sewing machine, or a thimble. If you have one of the two of those please use them! Be careful though (if using a sewing machine) in the places where the denim is tripled or more in layers, it will break your needle.
Supplies Needed:
  • Old Denim Pants/ Skirt with pockets.
  • Scissors
  • Pins
  • Needle 
  • Thread
  • Cardboard 
  • Stuffing

1. Cut out both pockets. Trace your foot (about an inch bigger than is actually needed) on one of the legs. Cut out four pieces just like that one. Then cut at the waist band, two pieces that are about seven inches each.
 
2. Stitch the top corners of one pocket to the sides of the waistband that you have cut out. (I pinned it around my ankle for a custom fit before I took the thread to it)





3. Pin one of the four foot sized pieces to the bottom of the pocket and waist band piece.







4. Carefully stitch around the pins, making sure to pull them out as you go to avoid sticking yourself.






 
5. Take one of the other foot shaped pieces and pin it to the stitching you just did only half way around though, until you reach the waist band piece. Yes on top of the pocket. When you get all of the pins in place stitch around those pins, also remembering to remove the pins as you go. When you are finished with that pull the piece of denim that is now over the front around to the back so it is now under the shoe, or on the bottom.


6.Once you have everything lined up and turned around properly. Trace your foot on a piece of cardboard. Cut it out and insert it into the opening you have left on the heel of the shoe.



7.Stuff to your hearts desire, and stitch up the hole that you have left.
8.Repeat steps one through seven for the second shoe.


And Finito! You now are the proud owner of a pair of DIY Recycled Denim House Shoes.

To make this a little easier might I suggest not adding the waist band pieces, you would follow all the steps the same, you would just end up with a slipper look, rather than a moccasin look. That is the way my husband wants me to make his. (And out of regular blue denim!)

Phew! Hope you have gained some inspiration from this project!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for these instructions! Very easy to follow. My boyfriend is going to love the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm so glad you like this post! One thing to note however, after I completed these shoes I realized I should probably put some type of grip on the bottom, the denim was very slick... I'm thinking bath tub grips. They have lines or ducks or small bubbles and can usually be found at a dollar store! I hope this helps! -K.Winter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I´m so inloveeed i´m gonna make it for me and my little girl ♥

    ReplyDelete