Thursday, April 21, 2011

Living the Life

           Turning twenty one marked a new chapter in my life. I started realizing what life should really be about. In the last year I have had to learn (and re-learn) many things about life. As my twenty second birthday nears, I look back and for the first time in my life I can see measurable growth in myself. My husband and I are also coming up on our one year anniversary and though we may not have much, I feel like we are living the life.
            What is "the life", you may ask? One of faith, love, hope, and satisfaction. I am not the religious type, nor do I condone anyone for their beliefs. I find, if you are connected to a higher being, or want to be, your relationship with that being is that of your own, and no one else can determine what that relationship is about. Faith is a big word, and in the last year I have not only found a solid faith in spiritual way, but I have found a faith in myself.
            Love is another big word. Before you can experience true love with someone else, you must first love yourself. I am not saying that I don't have insecurities or self-esteem problems from time to time, but I do love the person I have become. Looking back on my past I can see how every little experience I have been through and any flaw that I have acquired, have brought me to this place. A place in life where I am comfortable with who I am. With the help of my husband I have also learned how to love others. When I quit looking for love, love found me. With that love came trust, strength, and honor. When you put those qualities into a relationship, something beautiful is sure to come of it. There is no one else (even after three years) that I would rather spend my time with, he is truly my best friend. We have each others backs, even when the journey seems to harsh, we support and encourage each other along the way. Neither one of us grew up around successful marriages, and we knew if we were going to make it we had to learn the ropes on our own. We are still on our journey and know that one of the only constants in life is change. We are ready for change and embrace it with open arms. I love love. <3
            Hope; 1. (sometimes plural) a feeling of desire for something and confidence in the possibility of its fulfillment. As a child, I hoped for many childish things. As an adult (and a realist) I hope for success, and dream of possibilities. My husband and I both grew up in the land of misfit toys. We have both been given chances, some taken, some failed and decided that this time it was up to us, as a team and individually to take those chances and make a difference with them. We are both students at an online college, and talk often of our hopes and dreams together. Hope is a survival mechanism, I think, and if you utilize hope it will carry you through to your dreams.
             I never felt satisfied before. I always sought out satisfaction in the wrong places, and now know if you can't be satisfied with the basic essentials of life, you will never be satisfied with a life full of luxuries. As a teenager I thought satisfaction would be attained if I was the perfect person, had the perfect job, and was able to live a life of lavish luxuries. As an adult, I find satisfaction in the life I currently live (in the present moment), and I realize that you don't need any of those "things" to find satisfaction. It is also true that satisfaction can be obtained at any age, but I recommend that you find it soon. You only have one life to live!
           Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment